Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chicken Tacos (chicos as my 2 year old calls them)

Need an easy, fast dinner?  Too busy to stand over the stove and cook?

Here is your solution: Chicken tacos.  They are DELICIOUS!

When you ask my 2 year old what she wants for dinner, her response is almost always "Chicos!"

I usually make these on nights I have other things to do because they are quick and easy. 

I use Giant Eagle brand frozen boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins.  Any chicken will work.

1. Preheat oven according to instructions, in this case 400 degrees.
2. Bake chicken, I bake for 30 minutes.  In this time, I go do whatever it is I need to do.  To feed my family of now 4 I use 10-12 tenderloins and we usually have some left over.
3. When the chicken is cooked through, but not over done to where it is dry, take out and cut into small chunks.  If I have time, I shred the chicken, either way works.
4. Add chicken to a skillet.
5. Add 3/4 cup water and a packet of Ortega taco seasoning. (This is enough for 10-12 tenderloins; about 1 pound of meat, adjust for more.)


 

 
6. Cook on medium-high heat and stir until sauce thickens, takes about 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove from heat.

Now comes the fun part-putting the tacos together!

You can use soft or hard shells.  I use Chi-Chi's Wheat wraps found in the same location as the taco seasoning and other wraps.

1. Put the chicken in the shell.  I keep our wraps in the refrigerator so they are still cold at this point.



2. Add toppings: I use Kraft Mexican Four Cheese (if it's on sale) or I buy a 16oz block of the Colby Jack cheese and shred it myself-more economical.




*I add ranch to mine.  It really adds tang to the taco and tastes great!  My kids do not like it, so they just get cheese.  My husband adds taco sauce, found with the other taco products.
3. Pop them in the microwave for about 10-30 seconds depending on how many I have on the plate at once.  Again this is because I put our wraps in the refrigerator.
4. Fold in the ends, fold over one side and roll.  I would probably be fired from Taco Bell before I even started, I am bad at wrapping.



Enjoy!  Refrigerate leftovers if you have any.  This reheats great!  My husband who never reheats anything and hates leftovers, will reheat this!

Happy Blogging and Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment